The Urban Economic Development Association of Wisconsin, Inc. (UEDA) is a membership organization dedicated to the professional development of individuals and groups working in economic and community development in Wisconsin. Incorporated in 1997, its mission is to focus on housing development and preservation, workforce development issues, regional cooperation and economic education to enhance central cities and their residents.
UEDA offers training, technical assistance and support services to professionals and organizations, networking and collaboration among local, regional and national groups, and facilitation of best practices and model programs in Wisconsin. Since its inception, UEDA has continually supported individuals and groups in their economic and community development efforts by providing professional capacity-building assistance to organizations throughout the state.
- Membership activities, which includes providing capacity-building services, information, technical assistance and networking opportunities to UEDA members.
- Technical assistance, as a contractor with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Community Planning and Development area and LISC to coordinate technical assistance grants to housing organizations and others in the areas of organizational development, financial management, technology, housing or project development, and foreclosure intervention efforts.
- Intermediary work, which includes UEDA’s participation in the Milwaukee Foreclosure Partnership Initiative, by chairing the Prevention work group and the formation of the Milwaukee Homeownership Consortium. Additionally, UEDA has also helped form the Coalition for Advancing Transit, which was a result of a recommendation from its 2008 Community Development Summit.
- Evaluation services, including neighborhood-level and program assessment as part of our technical assistance work. UEDA currently serves as Lead Evaluator for the Harambee Great Neighborhood Initiative and Washington Park Partners sustainable communities program for LISC-Milwaukee.
- Events such as the Community Development Summit, Quarterly Gathering series and Community Development Brown Bag, all of which assist in networking, education and information exchange in the economic development sector.
- Contracted Services, including serving as a fiscal agent for a number of organizations or projects, including the Wisconsin Nonprofit Association (WNA – formerly known as SWAN), Making Connections Milwaukee, the Milwaukee Business Improvement District (BID) Council and the Historic King Drive BID. UEDA has provided financial oversight and management to these organizations as a fee-for-service.
- Asset-Building, which includes partnering with other community organizations and efforts such as the Alliance for Economic Inclusion, My Money Help Line Education Coalition and Money Smart Week, all of which promote financial literacy, access to economic opportunity, credit counseling services and issue advocacy.
UEDA is located at 2212 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53212. More information about us can be found at www.uedawi.org.